Understanding Succession and Estate Administration In Louisiana
When someone passes away, his or her family must often go through a legal process called succession. In essence, it involves the Louisiana courts transferring the deceased person’s property and money to the individuals, charities, or other parties named in the will. If the person died intestate (meaning without a will), the assets will be distributed according to the rights of succession set forth in Louisiana law.
At the law firm of Damon J. Baldone & Associates, we are available to open succession proceedings and handle all aspects of the estate administration process. Our Houma estate and succession planning attorney has 20 years of legal experience and the understanding necessary to help you:
- Transfer property titles and other assets to heirs and beneficiaries
- Access Bank Accounts
- Deal with funeral expenses, taxes and debts
- Complete and required legal paperwork or accounting
Our law firm also assists clients with estate planning matters such as wills, trusts and power of attorney:
- A will allows you to leave specific instructions about how and to whom you want your assets distributed after you pass away.
- A trust can be particularly useful to safeguard significant assets, provide for the family members with disabilities and more. Types of trusts include special needs trust, revocable living trusts, spendthrift trusts and others.
- A power of attorney document names the person you want to make decisions for you should become unable to do so.
What is a Succession?
The way property is legally transferred from a decedent to the heir(s)
What is an Estate?
The assets and liabilities that someone has when they pass away
What is a Decedent?
The person who has passed away
What is a Probate?
The process of presenting a Last Will & Testament to a court to be recognized
What is a Testate?
The type of succession when the decedent has a Last Will & Testament
What is an Intestate?
The type of succession when the decedent did not have a Last Will & Testament
What is a Heir?
In an intestate succession, the person that inherits from the decedent
What is a Legatee?
In a testate succession, the person that inherits from the decedent
What is an Executor?
The person approved by the court to handle a testate succession Administrator the person approved by the court to handle an intestate succession